Summers remind me of fresh fruit, home made smoothies after a workout, fruit over ice cream, and sitting in the kitchen enjoying day light savings. Summer is the perfect time to pick up your favorite fruit whether it is at a local farmers market or the store! Remember, you can purchase fresh fruit or buy your fruit frozen!You should be getting at least 3-5 servings of fruit per day!
Some benefits on eating fruit are they are packed with vitamins, minerals, anti- oxidants and many phyto- nutrients.
Listed below are some on fruits benefits:
1. Fruits are low in calories and fat and are a source of simple sugars, fiber and vitamins which are essential for optimizing our health.
2. Fruits provide plenty of soluble dietary fiber which helps to ward of cholesterol and fats from the body and to get relief from constipation as well.
3. Fruits contain many anti-oxidants like poly-phenolic flavonoids, vitamin-C, anthocyanins. These compounds, firstly, help body protect from oxidant stress, diseases and cancers, and secondly, help body develop capacity to fight against these ailments by boosting our immunity level. Many fruits, when compared to vegetables and cereals, have very high anti-oxidant values which is something measured by their "Oxygen Radical Absorbent Capacity" or ORAC.
4. Anthocyanins are flavonoid category of poly-phenolic compounds found in some "blue fruits" like blue-black grapes, mulberries, acai berry, choke-berries, blueberries, blackberries, and in many vegetables featuring blue or deep purple color. Eating fruits rich in blue pigments offers many health benefits. These compounds have potent anti-oxidant properties, remove free radicals from the body and thus offers protection against cancers, aging, infections etc. These pigments tend to concentrate just underneath the skin.
5. Fruit’s health benefiting properties are because of their richness in vitamins, minerals, micro-nutrients, anti-oxidants which helps body prevent or at least prolong the natural changes of aging by protecting and rejuvenating cells, tissues and organs in the human body. The overall impact! Fruit nutrition benefits are many. You are protecting yourself from minor problems like wrinkling of skin, hair fall, memory loss to major ailments like age related macular degeneration of retina in the eyes, Alzheimer’s disease, colon cancers, weak bones (osteoporosis)… and the list of fruit nutrition benefits never ends!
Source: Nutrition- and- you.com
Fruit has always been one of the healthiest foods you could eat! However, there has been a lot of controversy and talk about amount of natural sugar in fruit. Considering all the talk and tis the fruit season we have broken down a list of fruits with the lowest in sugar to the highest in sugar!
Fruits Lowest in Sugar
Fruits Low to Medium in Sugar
Fruits Fairly High in Sugar
Fruits Very High in Sugar